These chocolate strawberry cupcakes have Valentine’s day written all over them! Last week I was craving cupcakes, was anxious to try something new, and wanted something Valentine’s-ish. My favorite Valentine treats are chocolate covered strawberries, so why not turn them into a cupcake?
Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
Chocolate cupcakes with strawberry frosting is not a typical combination, but for Valentine’s Day, it absolutely works! These chocolate cupcakes are truly the best I’ve ever had. They are SO moist and decadent and I don’t think I will ever use another chocolate cupcake recipe again. The secret is to add coffee to amp up the chocolate flavor and hot water to make them extra moist.
The strawberry frosting is a version of my vanilla buttercream frosting recipe. You simply substitute the milk for strawberry puree for a creamy and fresh twist.
I garnished the chocolate strawberry cupcakes with Ghirardelli strawberry bark, but you could also top with chocolate candy or even chocolate covered strawberries! If you’re looking for a decadent, out of the [chocolate] box Valentine’s Day treat, give these cupcakes a try. And even if you’re not, pin this chocolate cupcake recipe for later because it’s seriously THE BEST! Enjoy!
Pin it for later!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Hershey's Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pureed strawberries, strained
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and place liners in cupcake pan
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl and set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine sugar, coffee, milk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well combined
- Add the hot water to the batter and mix until well combined and batter is thin
- Fill cupcake liners halfway with batter and bake for 20-24 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack
- Remove stems from strawberries, place in food processor and puree. (You will need about ½ cup of strawberries to produce ¼ cup puree)
- Strain pureed strawberries into bowl to remove seeds and chunks
- In stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat softened butter until smooth
- Sift powdered sugar into bowl and begin mixing on low-medium speed
- Add vanilla and strawberry puree and continue mixing on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until completely combined and desired consistency and texture is achieved.
- This should make a buttercream frosting that is the perfect consistency for spreading or piping onto cupcakes. If too thin, add more powdered sugar about a teaspoon at a time. If too thick, add more strawberry puree.
- Pipe or spread onto completely cooled cupcakes, garnish as desired, and enjoy!