*These rainbow muddy buddies are the perfect recipe for a Trolls, unicorn, or rainbow birthday party. They are simple to make and so pretty!
This past weekend was Audrey’s 3rd birthday party and the theme was TROLLS! I decided to serve a variety of desserts, and to go along with the theme, I had to make everything RAINBOW!
I found this recipe for “unicorn muddy buddies” on Pinterest and I ended up tweaking the recipe a bit. I doubled the amount made and used less powdered sugar. I wanted those colors to really come through!
This rainbow muddy buddies recipe is very simple with only a few ingredients, but it is a bit tedious because you have to mix everything up four times to get those rainbow colors.
I used Wilton candy melts and I wanted bright colors so the colors I went with were bright pink, turquoise, vibrant green, and lavender. I would not consider the “lavender” melts to be a lavender color – it was a darker purple (just fiy in case you’re looking for a lighter purple color!)
A few tips for making rainbow muddy buddies:
- Heat your candy melts in a microwave safe bowl with about a tablespoon of shortening. The shortening makes it extra smooth.
- 1 cup of candy melts coats 2 cups of Chex cereal very well.
- After the candy melts are fully melted, spoon 1-2 tablespoons into a small bowl and set aside. Use this to drizzle over the top of the cereal after tossing in powdered sugar. This will make the colors pop a bit more and will help the sprinkles stick.
- If you use too much powdered sugar, it will cover the candy and you won’t be able to see the colors come through as well. Use about 1/2 cup for each color.
- Let the cereal dry completely before transferring to bowl. Once dry, alternate colors as you transfer to bowl. This will allow all colors to be mixed together well.
- You can use any colors you want! Michaels and Hobby Lobby have a large variety of colors.
If you make this recipe, be sure to let me know how you like it! Be sure to pin it for easy reference later!
- 1 cup each color candy melts: pink, blue, purple, green
- 4 tbsp vegetable shortening
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 8 cups Chex cereal
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Place 1 cup of candy melts (one color) in microwave safe bowl and add 1 tbsp shortening
- Heat for 60 seconds, remove and stir
- Continue to heat in 15 second intervals until fully melted and smooth
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of melted candy into small bowl and set to the side
- Add 2 cups Chex cereal to melted candy and stir carefully
- Place ½ cup powdered sugar and coated cereal in ziplock bag. Seal and shake well to coat
- Pour onto baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Drizzle melting candy from small bowl over top and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles (if candy melts have already hardened, you may need to reheat in 15 second intervals until smooth again)
- Repeat with each color and allow to sit for 30 minutes until completely dry
- Mix together and serve in large bowl