These peppermint mocha cupcakes are rich and chocolaty with smooth and creamy peppermint buttercream frosting. Top with crushed peppermint sticks and garnish with Ghirardelli peppermint bark to make for a beautiful holiday treat.
Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
What is your favorite holiday drink of the season? Mine is different every year (not sure why), but this year I have been all about the peppermint mocha….so what could be better than peppermint mocha cupcakes?
The coffee in the cupcakes enhances the dark chocolate flavor for a moist, rich chocolate cupcake. The frosting is a spin on this vanilla buttercream recipe. The only difference is a little bit of peppermint extract!
If you enjoy peppermint mochas, then you will love these peppermint mocha cupcakes. They do not have an incredibly strong coffee flavor, so even if you’re not a big coffee drinker, you’re sure to enjoy these cupcakes!
If you decide to make them this holiday season, let me know what you think!
Pin it for later
- 1 cup AP flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder, sifted (can use regular cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2.5 tbsp instant coffee granules
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- Crushed peppermint sticks and Ghirardelli peppermint bark
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners
- In medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- In large bowl, beat oil, sugars, eggs, vanilla extract, and instant coffee granules
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk until well combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each liner a little over ½ full.
- Bake 16-18 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely, then frost with peppermint frosting and garnish with crushed peppermint and peppermint bark
- Beat softened butter in bowl of stand mixer (or with hand mixer if stand mixer is unavailable)
- Sift powdered sugar into bowl and begin mixing on low speed
- Add milk, vanilla, and peppermint extract and mix on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until creamy. (Start with 2 tbsp of milk and add more if needed)