Kate Spade Bridal Shower
The color scheme was black and white stripes with pops of pinks and golds.
On the menu:
- Jalapeno chicken salad from Chicken Salad Chick
- Cheese tray with crackers
- Fruit tray
- Turkey/bacon roll-ups
- Strawberry cheesecake salad, individually served (I love mini desserts!)
- French Macarons: pink lemonade and strawberry
We had a great time showering the bride with love and gifts! Love you, Sis!
What I learned making paper flowers
- They are tedious little boogers. I made 15 flowers and added up that I cut 442 petals out of 173 pieces of cardstock and it took over 24 hours of labor. But I’m sure the more I do them the faster I’ll get.
- Use 65 lb cardstock. I knew that this is what was recommended but when I went to Michaels to buy paper they had a deal on some large packs of cardstock and I didn’t pay attention to the weight. I ended up buying 110 lb instead. While it worked out fine, it was more difficult to cut with my machine, and the petals didn’t roll out as easily on the ends. If you were to look at them up close you’d see small creases because the paper was too thick to curl.
- Cut with a Silhouette or Cricut if you have one. I thought it would be a pain to take that many pieces of paper off and on the cutting mat but it is sooo much easier than tracing and hand cutting.
- Use the double cut feature if the paper is too think and the machine is not cutting smoothly.
- I would recommend if you are serious about making these, or plan to make several of them, to order a template. They are relatively inexpensive, come with several different files (PDF, SVG, PNG) AND tutorial videos, which I definitely took advantage of. I ordered mine from Catching ColorFlies on Etsy.
- It took me a while to find the best way to hang them from a fabric backdrop. I had read somewhere to use those little round magnets but they seemed to sag too much. I played around with a few different ways, but nothing was working. They needed to be hung from higher on the flower because if I hung them from the center they would sag and be facing toward the ground. So finally I tried gluing a longer strip of paper on the back of the flower and pinned it with a safety pin from the top of that strip. This worked out great! Here’s a picture of what it looked like from the back:
I learned a ton this time around and I’m excited to try different styles next time!
How to Plan the Perfect Party Without Losing Your Mind
Pink and Gold Sweet 16 Party
Raley’s Lilo and Stitch Luau Party
Audrey’s Flamingo Birthday Party
For all parties, visit the Let’s Party archive!